Sumber: Malaysian Insider
Let me decide on sex video arrests, say IGP
By Shannon Teoh
April 05, 2011
Ismail said he will decide the right time and who to arrest.
— KUALA LUMPUR, April 5 — Tan Sri Ismail Omar lashed out today at calls for the police to arrest the mysterious trio known as “Datuk T”, stating that it is up to him to decide on arrests in connection with the alleged sex video of Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.
“Why should I arrest anyone based on what you say? Let us carry out the investigation and then I will decide on the right time and who to arrest,” the Inspector General of Police said to reporters today when asked why the men who claimed responsibility for the video have not been booked.
Demands for Datuk T — former Malacca Chief Minister Tan Sri Abdul Rahim Thamby Chik, businessman Datuk Shazryl Eskay Abdullah and Perkasa treasurer-general Datuk Shuib Lazim — to be arrested have grown louder, especially from Anwar’s PKR, since the 21-minute video emerged two weeks ago.
A 107-second snippet surfaced on the Internet on Sunday, just two days after police said the video was not doctored, but has since been taken down from YouTube for violating its policy on nudity and sexual content.
PKR immediately claimed that the clip proved the man in the video was not their de facto leader and repeated their demand that the trio be arrested for pornography.
Ismail also called for the public to trust the police to do their job and promised that the investigation into the video that was shown would cover all aspects.
“We cannot be expected to explain every step and detail of the investigations,” said the police chief.
Ismail had said last week that the police had begun its probe into the video based on Opposition Leader Anwar’s police report on March 22, the day after the video had surfaced.
He confirmed today that the investigation was for pornography under section 292 of the Penal Code and possibly the Film Censorship Act.
He said the police have no plans to take action against any individual as of now.
Anwar has denied he is the man in the video and accused Umno of a politically-motivated “scurrilous attack” on him.
The involvement of former Umno Youth chief Abdul Rahim has lent credence to the claim as Umno sought to distance itself from the video.
During a March 24 press conference, Abdul Rahim said the video was exposed to show “a man who wants to be prime minister is not qualified.”
A recent opinion poll found that 51 per cent of those surveyed did not believe Anwar was the man in the video, with 39 per cent saying Barisan Nasional had masterminded the video — more than twice as many as those who said the ruling coalition was not involved.
::: Time Off - Time spent well *| free |*
7 hours ago